Over the past few weeks, we have diligently listened to the feedback from the community and are now pleased to share that we have updated the on-boarding UI for the Governance dashboard. The goal of the update is to improve the overall on-boarding experience to make it as easy as possible for users to understand and interact with the dashboard.
The upgrade's new on-boarding process allows for easier set up of voting contracts and improves the overall voting method. The improvement includes giving the user the option to skip the use of the vote proxy and instead vote directly with their own wallet, by depositing into Chief and then voting.
Governance Dashboard Video Walkthroughs
1. Voting with a Linked Wallet
- Select your wallet (MetaMask, Ledger, or Trezor) from the dropdown menu in the header.
- Select “Set up now” from the banner at the top of the Governance dashboard.
- Select the “Vote with a linked wallet” option.
- Select a voting wallet (Hot wallet that lets you vote with your MKR).
- Select a Cold wallet (Cold wallet that holds your MKR).
- Link your Hot and Cold wallet.
- Grant permissions (to give the Governance contract transfer allowances for your MKR tokens).
- Lock-in your MKR.
- Start voting.
Why use the Vote Proxy?
We developed the Vote Proxy as a way for MKR holders to participate in Maker Governance while minimizing the amount of time they have their Cold wallet online. In short, it means that users link a Hot wallet, such as MetaMask, and a Cold wallet so that once MKR has been deposited, there is no need to use the Cold wallet again. Users simply vote and withdraw their MKR using their Hot wallet. More information on the Vote Proxy can be found here.
Until now, this was the only way to use the voting interface supplied by the Maker Foundation.
2. Voting with a Single Wallet
For those users who don't want to use the vote proxy, they can now vote directly with a single wallet, by depositing directly into Chief and then voting.
- Select your wallet (MetaMask, Ledger or Trezor) from the dropdown menu in the header.
- Select “Set up now” from the banner at the top of the governance dashboard.
- Select the “Vote with a single wallet” option.
- Grant permissions (to give the governance contract transfer allowances for your MKR tokens).
- Lock-in your MKR.
- Start voting.
Why Vote with a Single Wallet?
For users who store their MKR on MetaMask or another web or mobile wallet, voting with a single wallet is the easiest and simplest way to vote. It is also possible for you to vote with a single wallet if you use a Cold wallet, such as a Ledger or Trezor. However, please note that you will need to access your wallet each time you want to vote or withdraw MKR.
Voting with a single wallet replaces the functionality previously available at chief.makerdao.com and makes the voting interface available to all users who do not want to vote via the Vote Proxy.
As always, we want to remind you that your feedback is crucial as we move toward the Ethereum mainnet release of Multi-Collateral Dai. Please join our public #product-feedback channel on Rocket.Chat to comment and ask any questions you may have.
Getting MakerDAO Updates
To receive updates on Maker from the Foundation, go to https://makerdao.com/en/. There, in the bottom right corner of the page, you will find the “Sign up for the latest content and updates” button. Please enter your email and hit ’Subscribe.’ If you are interested in learning more about creating a product or tool that leverages the Dai Credit System, contact the Foundation’s product team via Rocket.Chat.